Thursday, April 25, 2013

Old Man and the Sea book review


Jailene Rodriguez
c-block
April 24, 2013
The Old Man who lived lived with fish
The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway, Scriber Paperback Fiction, 1952. Genre: Fiction  
          The old man and The Sea was about an old man who was a fisherman. in the story the old man has't caught a fish in 84 days and is eating little. There is also a boy who is friends with him, he taught the boy to fish and he brings him food. The old man's name is Santiago and the boy's is Manolin. One day the old man goes out fishing and catches a huge fish a Marlin. Over a period of about three days he finds strugles witha battle of his will and his strength. While this happens the man starts to see the fish as a brother, but never wavers to his resolution to kill the fish, which the old man does. The Old man just straps the fish to the side of his boat. Then he heads home he is attacked by sharks, that start to eat the marlin. The old man tries to fight them off with weapons, like knifes. When he gets to shore there is only a skeleton left of the marlon. After the story ends with the old man going back to sleep and dreaming of lions as he did when he was younger.  
          " The story was full of courage in face of Danger, Ernest Hemingway brilliant story" By Orville Prescott, book of themes reviewer.
            I chose this quote because I thought it used the right words and I agree with the quote because I thought the old man had a lot of couage even though he was in danger. Like when he was being attacked by the sharks he was courage when he tried to defend himself with weapons and he was in danger because the sharks were attacking him.
           The old man and the sea is like Cast Away. They are similar because they are both trying to survive in the wild near the ocean and the become kind of crazy while they are out there. They are also a like because they both get to come back back home. They are also very different. Cast away is about a man deserted on an island and trying to come back home. At the end a whale helps him and theses boxes that he found. They are also different because The Old man and the Sea is about a fepisherman and Cast Away is not about a fisherman.
            "A man can be destroyed but not defeated". I think this means that a man will always go on and will never let himself be defeated and that the only way they could be defeated is by being destroyed. when he said destroyed I think it means like they died or someone or something killed them because if the man is not destroyed they will keep on and never stop. I think a man could never be defeated it just depends on the man and if they have the will to go on no matter what. I agree with this quote because all the man i know are like that they are all subborn. Like my dad. My dad has a strong heart and always makes it seem like he's ok even if we know he's not. I don't think my dad could ever be defeated he is so strong and open hearted.  
           I didn't feel a relationship with the book, the author, or theme. I did enjoy it. It was like movie being played in my head. I thought the story was funny, entertaining, and fun. my favorite part was when he thought the fish was like his brother. I also thought it was sad that when he killed it and all the sharks eat the fish. At least the old man made it home.  

2 paws




9 comments:

  1. I really liked how you you put a lot of detail in the book review and you explained the summary, the quote you chose and the quote given to you to write about. overall i think you did a good job writing your book review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me think about what it would be like if you did not put all this detail in it, i wonder why you still think they are different. i saw in my mind that you did enjoy the book but also did not enjoy it on some parts. i discovered that you think of your dad as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the quote you chose it was really meaningful. I agree with your description of the man cant be destroyed quote because i do believe that man will go on and never give up. I enjoyed the pretty pictures at the end. I discovered that you didn't have a relation with the book. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I like how you summarized the book so the person feels like they have read it.
    2) I could not believe that you only rated this 2 paws.
    3) I really liked how you compared and contrasted the same book to the old man and the sea
    4) I was reminded of many scenes in the book.
    5) I liked your book review overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on what you rated it with 2 paws. I did the same thing because it really didn't interest me at all. By the way I love your pictures that you put up. I also like the way you put everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your rate of 2 paws. I didn't like this book either because it was boring and about a topic I wasn't fond of. I wish I understood why the author chose to write the book the way he did because it has so little likings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked how you had detail when you were explaining the story and the quotes. I agree with when you said that the old man was courageous. I was reminded about things in the book that happened. I discovered that your dad reminds you of the quote. I saw in my mind the man trying to catch the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with your two paw rating. i didnt like this book either, i like the pictures you put up. i thought this book was boring. i wish i knew why the author has such a great selling book if the book kinda sucks

    ReplyDelete